Commissions

 Commissions are difficult, that is why most Artist take 50% up front to start on one.  Usually the client has in mind what they want, but some just give you a rough idea and let you go at it.  Especially if they know your style and work well.  I just got a commission for a large piece, 36”x48”, for a prairie landscape in a lose semi abstract style.  That’s all I got given as guide line, no picture, just a “well you know what we like”!  This is going to be interesting, watch this space.  

I have sold several abstracts this month, it seems Albertans like them, when I was in Nova Scotia I seldom ever sold abstracts, it was mainly seascapes, landscapes and women, sometimes nudes, but again few.  Different locations and environments dictate, I have found, what the preferred style is.  My husband yesterday saw a person up the road unloading very large art work pieces from their car into to a house.  He said it was like IKEA or Walmart style.  I found that sad as large pieces from box stores are expensive and mass produced, and a local artist could do a unique one of a kind piece, that would go up in value instead of finding its way into a thrift store later.  Just a thought as we progress through this year, buy from Artisans and Crafters where possible, and remember there is always room for art.  Have a great day as we all dream of Spring.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring and Playing

Plein Air Painting

Colour palettes